The flank steak is the traditional cut used for London Broil. It is long, thin, and full of tough connective tissue. It is usually marinated before being grilled whole. Because it is tough, you usually slice it thinly on a diagonal across the grain to sever the tough fibers and make the flavorful steak chewable.
PREP TIME: 10-15 MINUTES(ACTIVE)
COOK TIME: 10 MINUTES
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
3 green onions chopped
1 teaspoon celery salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup olive oil
1. Trim flank steak of any fat, sinew and silver skin.
2. The amount of marinade you will need depends on the size of your steak. The amounts given are for a steak about a 3 pound flank steak. Increase or decrease the marinade ingredient amounts as necessary.
3. Combine red wine vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, and olive oil.
4. Using a whisk,add garlic, onion, celery salt, black pepper, and salt. 5. Put this marinade along with the flank steak in a large plastic bag. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours, turning after 2 hours.
6. Take the marinating steak out of the fridge one hour prior to grilling and let it rest at room temperature.
7. Grill the steak over very hot coals (450 degrees) for exactly 5 minutes. Turn the steak over and grill on the other side for another 5 minutes. Remove to a plate and let rest for 5 minutes.
8. Carve at a 35-45 degree angle across the grain. This will greatly tenderize the meat.
-Grate Grills & More